Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Clutziness and RA

Do any of you with RA deal with a newfound level of clutziness? I have always been quite the clutz but wow, have things gone south in that direction quickly!

I grab something out of the fridge and watch helplessly as it slips through my hands and onto the tile floor. Should I consider carpeting my kitchen floor? Well, maybe not, but I must remember to get a better grip on things, that's for sure. Now to remember that thought when I need it...maybe short term memory loss is hitting me too! Yikes, I don't even want to go there right now!

Yesterday I was going to pour some grape juice into a glass. All of a sudden the half gallon container fell to the floor. Of course the lid was already off and the lovely purple liquid spilled everywhere including under the fridge! So what are you going to do? Laugh or cry? This is always my first thought when these things happen. I'm trying to choose laughing but there have been occasions I'm tempted to burst into tears as I realize my hands just can't do what they use to. When the RA is active in my hands I have nicknamed them "flippers". You can still do stuff but you might have to get more creative on how to do things with flippers instead of fingers! Thankfully, usually I don't have flipper hands!!

Lessons learned: 1) Try to slow down and be sure I have a firm grasp on things before picking them up 2) From now on my shopping trips for kitchen ware will be in the aisle featuring plastic options! And a word to the wise, don't let me hold your baby!

1 comment:

  1. haha! I love you and your flippers. Especially when we go to Olive Garden and each time we're asking for a rag as the glass of ice water goes everywhere. I'd rather go with you and have fun time of it than with anyone else. And don't worry, you're holding the baby xoxo

    ReplyDelete