Thursday, September 1, 2011

The $800 mistake!

In the blog about medications I mentioned that the directions for using Humira was overkill. Well folks, there has been an event to humble me on that score. A couple of weeks ago when I was preparing to do the Humira injection, I felt so confident. There was nothing to this at all. So the directions were set aside and I pressed on with the task at hand. Yup, easy as pie...got it covered...could do this in my sleep - you get the drift.

So as I lay down on the couch to do the injection procedure, I took off the two caps confidently and pressed the WRONG END ONTO MY FLESH, and as this was the release button for the medication and not the end with the needle, I watched as the Humira shot up into the air about 4 feet in a fine stream of fluid. You know how it is when your mind doesn't quite grasp what your eyes are seeing and you think, WOW what is that stuff going up into the air? And then BAM you realize what the stuff is that is shooting up into the air and not into your body and you say to yourself, 'its your medication, goofball'! Thankfully my thumb never made it onto the other end, the one I had assumed was the release button but was actually the shot end, or my thumb would be trying to absorb all that medicine and with my luck I'd be swollen up like a tick!

A little side note here: on the box of Humira it says the cost is $3200 for four shots without insurance. Can you even believe that! With insurance it is thankfully $30 a month! So when I told my daughter what had happened, she said - "you just made an 800 dollar mistake!" In my case it was a $7.50 mistake but still! Then she said, "That would be a great title for your next blog!"

So here it is, a mistake that will hopefully never be repeated. In fact since that little incident,  those detailed instructions will be reviewed before moving ahead with the dosage!

Earlier I said it was easy as pie...make that humble pie.  A taste I've grown familiar with!



No comments:

Post a Comment