Saturday, September 10, 2011

A day at the Getty

A few weeks ago my youngest daughter suggested we have a girl’s day out at the J.P. Getty Museum in Los Angeles. We both love this place. It is well worth the trip if you live anywhere near enough to LA. The idea sounded good to me!  After all I had been feeling pretty good lately and my stamina has improved steadily over the past few months, thanks, in part I believe, to the dietary changes I’ve been practicing.

We got a nice early start, hit minimal traffic on the way, and arrived shortly after they opened their gates. Hmm…now to unfold myself from the car. Had I forgotten that a car trip might stiffen me up? I pulled myself together, loosened up those weary muscles and joints, and we started off. Oops, today was the day I had taken my methotrexate and like many of you that makes me feel a bit tired and nauseous. So I suggested we have lunch early as it was hitting me hard. Lunch service wouldn’t start for 20 minutes so we looked around a bit without committing to any major exhibit we hoped to enjoy at our leisure after we ate. We walked down many stairs – where was that elevator (!?) and enjoyed a healthy and heartening lunch. Feeling much better we made our way over to an exhibit about Paris – fashions, arts and lifestyle of Paris (circa.1750ish).

Hmmm...what is it about standing as opposed to walking that makes me extra achy and weary? Anyone else out there experience that? So my sweet daughter sensing my distress went and checked out one of the complimentary wheelchairs. At this time I should mention she is 7 months pregnant with child number 3. There were a few stares from folks as my dear daughter pushed me around in the wheelchair. Often I tried to use it as a walker instead to give her a break.

Time was of the essence.  We hoped to leave The Getty early enough to beat the worst of the afternoon traffic. So we came up with a game plan to prioritize what our favorite exhibits were. We meandered through several rooms and exhibits and did our best to enjoy everything knowing we had to keep an eye on the time. It amazes us both that you are able to study the paintings so closely – priceless works of art by timeless artists!  One of our favorite things to enjoy at the Getty are the amazing gardens. They were closed that day but even closed we could view enough to see an array of beauty that is hard to beat. Then it was time to head home.

Things I learned: 1) Take advantage of these opportunities and DO what you can for these times are precious! My daughter agreed. 2) Relax, and don’t stress over missed exhibits. You’re there making the effort and isn’t the important thing to enjoy the experience, the company, and your day out together? 3) Start looking for a nice used seated walker. They come in great colors and one of my dear sisters wants to get me streamers for the handlebars.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. You have such a sweet spirit (you always have). You are right: methotrexate day is kind of yucky! I was just at a wedding in Sacramento and it collided with "M" day so I skipped it for two extra days and I could tell the difference later.

    I would be happy to donate some "bling" to your handlebars (a jeweled charm???) :)

    Tami down the hill....

    ReplyDelete