Saturday, September 17, 2011

A lesson from my Grandchildren

Mike and I are blessed with 3 grandchildren and a 4th on the way. Thankfully we live within 25 miles of our two daughters and their families.

As we live in the mountain community of Idyllwild we do our best to see our precious eldest daughter and her darling little 2 year old Gianna as often as possible. We also have Gianna stay with us for a weekend each month so we can have lots of memory making time with her.

My youngest daughter lives just around the corner so we thankfully get to see them and their children often. Yesterday was one of the days we spent with them so mom and dad could have some dinner/date time.

Levi is almost 5 and he is a wonderful older brother. He loves little Mabry, helping her with her puzzles and making sure she is safe when they play. She in turn looks up to him with the adoration only a 2 year old can show so completely with her upturned face and eyes full of admiration as she watches him. What can’t he do? In her eyes the answer is probably nothing!

It got me to thinking – what about my eyes of love and admiration? Do I keep them focused on my loving God who always cares for and never forgets us?  He is our loving God and Father. Do I look at Him knowing He can do anything, anytime and perfectly?

It was one of those little lesson reminders that got tucked into my heart. That night I woke up and went over to the window to look out at the darkness of the nighttime forest. I gazed up at the brilliant stars shining down faithfully. The stars God had placed there and that in years past were what guided the ships safely at sea. How faithful God is! I stood there in awe and gratefulness for the wondrous display above me. Usually I’m sound asleep while these stars shine above our little house but tonight God had called me to this moment of communion with Him. After crawling back into bed – my overwhelmed heart reflected on the beautiful Psalm that says: “When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained; What is man that you are mindful of him and the son of man that You visit him...”

Thank you Lord for these reminders that surround us – from our grandchildren to the stars. WOW!

1 comment: