Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Profit and Loss Margin

Is my glass half full or half empty? I was thinking about some of my losses and gains through the experience of dealing with RA and I wanted to share my reflections on the subject:

Here's what's lost:


long walks
the ability to get up easily from a chair
getting down on the floor to play with grandkids
some of the grandkid games that grammas play with them
energy and stamina to cook a big family meal
energy and stamina in general

Here's what I still have:

I can still walk - just not as far
I can still sit in a regular chair
I have grandkids and they love me (the feeling is moo-choo-wul)
There are plenty of games and activities I can still do with them
They take naps so I can take one at the same time
I am blessed with a dear husband, my family and dear friends
I can still cook and there is always "take out"

Here's what I've gained:

Realizing how many people love and support me
Increased creativity
Drawing closer to our dear and loving Lord
More compassion for those who are down and suffering
Deeper understanding of the Scriptures
Better realization of what really matters
More appreciation for each new day
More thankfulness for the day that has passed
    (as I retire for the night in my comfy bed)
Realizing that a merry heart really is like medicine (Prov 17:22)
Deeper love for my family and friends
More grace for how others, and myself, journey through life
     (and to have patience with the process)
Learning to trust the Lord more

So looking at these lists and seeing how much longer the last two are brings a tear to my eye and gratefulness to my heart. If these lists were placed on an old fashioned scale it would tip in the favor of GAIN!! I may have lost certain things but am so grateful for the lessons I am learning. Thank you Jesus that You are always with me and You have promised to "Never leave me or forsake me".

Please share a comment on your profit and loss margin - I would love to hear your thoughts. HUGS!

Bless the Lord oh my soul! Let all that is within me bless HIS holy name! Psalm 103

6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful confirmation that your glass is more full than empty. Thanks for sharing - You are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Janette....super concept and very true, very right on for many of life's changes that come our way that we would never choose on our own. Excellent!

    --Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great outlook you have chosen! It's also okay if on some crummy day you want to have a pity party. I would be more than happy to bake a cake (or buy one if I am feeling crummy myself)! I'll drive on up and eat a slice with you--or commiserate in cyber world!

    What a gem you are!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. Lets all get together and eat some cake! Maybe chocolate?!

      Delete
  4. And praise God for improved medical care! People with RA rarely have awful flares requiring hospitalization - a big change since I became an OT - hooray! Thank you for sharing your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Cathy - we are most fortunate to have the medications that are available today that help prevent the deterioration that RA caused in the past. YEAH!

      Delete