Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Walkers and Leg Braces

It has been over three years since the RA diagnosis. My new normal is so different than it use to be...I can't help wondering: Where will I be three years from now? Will I still be going to work everyday? Will I still be mobile and walking?

I fell a few weeks ago and ended up in the ER for xrays. The nurse when she checked me in gave me a special bracelet to wear that said "fall risk". I asked her if I could have a box of them so I could wear a fresh one everyday...she laughed like I was kidding.  They prescribed a walker for me to use as needed. Instead of one of those clunky silver things we purchased a fancier version from the drugstore. It has a seat, is bright red (my favorite color) with big wheels, and brakes thankfully! It has allowed me to feel safer taking walks in the neighborhood. If I tire there's a place to sit down...All of a sudden walking the mall won't seem such a daunting task - plus I have a little basket under the seat! Shopping, anyone?

A few days later I was sent to an orthopedic doctor to examine the xrays. He showed me that my kneecaps have moved towards the outside of my knees. It was shocking to see those images. They took me off guard. The doctor said physical therapy wouldn't help. It was how the disease was progressing in my case. NOW I understood the increased discomfort and why my knees feel so unstable.

My RA doctor asked me to start wearing knee braces in the hopes of holding the knees in place and perhaps keeping the kneecaps from displacing further. After the first few days, I adjusted to the bulk and feel of them AND they are helping. Because of the size of my knees I needed large braces but the poor nurse searched everwhere for two in size large but could only find one - so until my next visit I have one large and one extra large. I've discovered that when I wear them on bare skin they grip well and feel supportive but add quite a bit of bulk under my slacks or jeans. I tried wearing them over nylons with a skirt but the texture of the nylons allowed the extra large one to start slipping south - Wouldn't that make a lovely picture and a new way to fall down...I fell over my knee braces!? Explain THAT to the ER nurse or your friends!

I regret to say that the knee pain is not fun and often wakes me at night when my knees pop and move. It is easy to feel anxious over this new development. I have to remind myself that "in everything give thanks to the Lord". Everything means everything...He is holding me fast and if I cleave to Him the fear subsides. Fear is such an enemy to us and pulls our vision away from our Savior and onto the circumstances. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

5 comments:

  1. Nettie..I LOVE your sense of humor! I love even MORE your FAITH. You bring me laughter and you also bring me strength with your beliefs. I love you girlfriend...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janette, I am so sorry for your latest news. Yet you seem to have a super power in the size of your faith and humor! If I was a decent seamstress I would make you a cape because you are truly a heroine.

    Bless you over and over!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments. Hmmm...a cape. That would be a great addition to my ensemble. Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Loved this so much Nettie...just wanna laugh, cry, hug you and admire you all at the same time...love ya my friend.

      Delete
  3. i can just SEE you trying on the nylons, trying on the pants....i can see you giggling, at the same time you are feeling surreal, that this can't possibly be happening to me! go girl! i'm not going to complain once today....
    hugs, marsh

    ReplyDelete