Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Yikes! Technology!


Does anyone else out there feel like the technological world is passing you by...For instance now there are phones with apps that do everything except brush your teeth and tuck you in at night. I remember mimeographs, for heaven's sake - I would spell check that but I'm sure that word is too ancient for my computer spell check to even recognize. How about IBM Selectric typewriters? Wow, those things were something and they even had a correction ribbon built right in!

The other night I went to a movie and two "20 somethings" were sitting in front of me waiting for the show to start. A guy and a girl - maybe a date? If it was a date it was pretty sad because they both sat there madly texting on their own phones. I kept waiting for them to converse with each other but NOPE the people they were texting with on their phones were more important to them, or even sadder maybe they were texting each other because they don't know how to look each other in the eye! Take a clue people. We need to TALK; more face to face interaction before the art of conversation is lost entirely. Oh and spelling words out correctly is a thing of the past - everything has an abbreviation. I'd give you an example but because this blog is about how I don't get it then I can safely admit that I don't know what some of the abbreviations stand for. For instance when someone put LOL I thought they meant lots of luck for the longest time! Yup, I'm that old person with the confused look on my face trying to read messages that are cryptically written. Hope they aren't letting me know I just won a million dollars because I just night hit 'delete".

Another lost art is note writing. Taking a minute to say "Hi, I was thinking of you" in a note card that requires a stamp and an envelope. Don't you just love getting a handwritten card in the mail? I do! Instead we rely on emails which makes perfect sense, it really does, you don't need to wait for several days to get a reply to your letter. Instant gratification! I email my sisters almost daily. I love that we can stay in touch so easily but getting that personalized note card or birthday card is such a treat.

The other day I was thinking that this young generation will someday be standing in my shoes trying to figure out how technology left them in the dark. They will be saying "remember the days when we had our I-Pads and I-phones? Remember how we used Email, for heavens sake"?

5 comments:

  1. I finally learned to text about two years ago and I hate to admit it, but I really enjoy the convenience of it. We have a respite worker for our "rainman" child, it has been a huge blessing in that regard...i.e..getting a text in the middle of a movie (yes my phone was on vibrate) that needed immediate attention. But snail mail is still the way to go for a birthday blessing, sharing a loss etc... It keeps us personal and involved. Tami down the hill :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Tami - I am the same with texting. I never thought I would be doing it so much but wow it comes in handy!

      Delete
  2. For sure, Janette! I'll always love "real" cards and letters. I don't have a smart phone or Ipad and totally understand the texting-while-talking thing you wrote about. :-) Your site is lovely. So nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too Julie. I have really been enjoying your blog also - always a blessing!

      Delete
  3. I know Sweetie! We were talking in Bible Study last nite that horrors of horrors....in 20 years THESE will be the good ole' days. Do NOT want to go there in my head....Marsh :) or should is say "LOL"

    ReplyDelete