Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Discovery


Nearly three years ago I developed a bad case of the flu that lasted longer than any other bout of flu I had ever experienced and it left me extremely weak and lethargic.  After recovery I continued to feel ‘slightly off’ and in need of lots of rest, etc. Then it hit again. This time I could hardly move in bed. The bed covers felt like they were made of lead. Getting up and down to the bathroom took huge effort. What was happening to me? Every movement was both painful and challenging. My husband had to assist me in the simplest tasks. Time to go to the Doctor!

The blood tests revealed I had Rheumatoid Arthritis. My immediate thought was – how bad can that be. Arthritis? People live with that everyday and this is not bad news at all. But after spending time with the doctor and doing my own research into the illness I began to realize that my life, as I knew it, may forever be changed.

Now came the trial and error of medication after medication. Every new med was to be given 3 – 6 months to determine if it was effective. This meant possibly 3 – 6 months of near immobility and challenging pain as the diagnosis advanced quickly to ‘moderate to severe RA’.

I was still working as an administrative assistant in a private school. Rising very early in the morning I would laboriously get ready for work. Miraculously I missed very little work and this is with great thanks to two dear co-workers. These dear women were so sensitive to my challenges. My office was upstairs and we rigged a way for me to pass papers down to the first floor when copies needed to be run, etc. If I was too weak to go to lunch they would bring me something from the cafeteria. Thank you to these dear women that I couldn’t have done without at this difficult time of adjustment.

Speaking of adjustment, anyone who has faced physical illness or chronic pain knows there are times of great fear. We also mourn for life as we knew it; having to deal with the learning curve on how to get things done with this uncooperative body and then, at last, the peace of acceptance. This cycle repeats itself again and again. Yet we steadily see that as a Christian, God’s Word is our anchor. I learned to memorize scriptures to repeat to myself during the long nights as I struggled to sleep through the pain. Psalm 34 and Psalm 103 were among my favorites and I worked to memorize these passages. Without God as my strength where would I be? He suffered for my sins and He was with me in this dark valley. I learned to hang on tight to His hand and focus on Him as Lord of my life and even as I continued/continue to pray for healing, I discovered afresh that HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT! I will trust and submit and rest in Him.  

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience with pain. I have fibromyalgia and my mother had RA.

    Deborah M.
    deborah-malone.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my very first comment(er)! There should be a prize or something! These autoimmune diseases have many similarities and we all can identify with each other so much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my dear sister Janette... (whom I refer to as my VSS (very special sister) - I am so grateful you have started this blog as I know you will be an inspiration to so many people. Having watched you throughout this experience, I have shed buckets of tears. I have watched you suffer through this disease yet constantly and faithfully trusting in God for everything and not giving up hope. I look forward to reading more of what you have to share with others. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janette you are SO encouraging and what a timely word to so many people who need to hear that life can be hard AND God is still good. Much love to you as you persevere on the dusty road of faith - many, including me, walk alongside you in the spirit asking the Father to release from heaven strength for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janette,
    Marcia told me about your blog and I just HAD to check it out. Meeting you and your sisters has brought great joy and inspiration to my life...and has given me the kick in the butt I've needed to be more intentional about spending time with MY sisters. Thank you for that...

    And thank you for this honest account of one woman's struggle. It means more than you know, especially your honesty in the difficulties regarding medication, pain management and the like. There are many MANY women who need this kind of encouragement, regardless what "invisible ailment" they are having to contend with. Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Mental Illness, ALL have very real symptoms and associated pain that must be managed...even when others are not aware.

    So thank you, THANK YOU for this brave and courageous blog. I look forward to sharing it with friends.

    ReplyDelete